For the first seven weeks of Moms & More we will be talking about JOY! The challenge for us all is to find joy in the roles we assume everyday: me, wife, mother, friend, family. Join in the dialogue and tell us how you experience joy!

Friday, October 3, 2008

"Joy" returning.....

"I was numb for a long time. I could not feel anything but bitter anguish. I remember the day I knew I was healing. Our dog, Sadie, looked at me wagging her tail, hoping for a bit of response. I felt a flicker in my heart. I smiled at her immediately recognizing what that flicker was, it was love, returning to my veins. It didn't gush in all at once, it trickled through my body in small ripples. Then, a laugh would come, I started to sense "JOY" once again. It wasn't outward, but a lightening inside of me. I was beginning to feel better, hopeful, even joyful at times. I would never be the same person, how could I? But "I" was coming back. This probably took a few years as I began the journey back to feeling somewhat 'normal' again."

I guess you could call that a teaser. It's from my writings that I someday hope to publish as a book. I was re-reading some parts this morning as I came across that word, 'joy.'

As I sit here this morning I can re-call that very moment when Sadie and I stood face to face and I remember that 'flicker' inside of my heart. That day God used 'mans best friend' to comfort me.

This was during an extreme time in our lives as our oldest son lay traumatically injured in a near by hospital.

I made a choice that day to allow Sadie to reach the most tender & aching parts of my soul. She was safe. I could sit, let her nuzzle against me, pet her and cry despairingly as she loyally sat next to me, not a word spoken. Dramatic things were happening. God knew the time had come for me to turn a corner. It was a baby step toward choosing a moment of joy over remaining numb.

If you don't have a pet like Sadie for God to use in your life, don't worry. He'll use something else or someone or some other way, but He will come to you...unannounced, subtle, loving as He is and He will bring you 'joy,' in it's purest form.

Just be ready.

Wishing you all a bit of 'joy' this week.........Janice ♥

No comments: